Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tuesday Was Good

A very long time ago, over half my life in fact, I was in high school. We were unique. A Catholic high school, populated only with boys, that was a combination high school and junior college. What does that mean? Well, it starts with the entrance exam. In late spring of 1972, hundreds (it seemed) of us gathered to take a test to see if we could get in. Anybody going had to know it was going to be an ordeal because they advised we bring a lunch. I could be wrong but I remember it as an 8 hour test. That test, I believe, also led to our placement in our respective homerooms. What makes the school really unique is that the incoming freshmen had the opportunity to choose a field of study in which to major, much like attending college. In a five year program, we would receive the typical four year high school diploma and at the end of the fifth, an Associate in Science degree. The majors then were: Electronics Technology (me), Photolithography, Mettalurgy, Mechanical Technology, Building Technology, Automotive Technology and Drafting and Design Technology.

The school day started at 8am and ended at 4pm. Very much like going to work, so we were not only prepared in a career field, but also ready for a work day. For the first two years, we spent the morning in our academic classess and the afternoon in "shop." Third and fourth year, flip that. Fifth year was a kind of hodgepodge of scheduling because we participated in a cooperative work education program with some of the biggest names in our industries. As a result, I've never worked at McDonald's or Sears or any establishment like that. My first job was with the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena. If you haven't heard of or don't recognize JPL, think Viking lander on Mars. We worked on the project. Not a bad way to start life, I must say.

Less than three years after graduation, I got married. This first time. My best friends from school were my wedding party. I honestly don't remember much of the ceremony itself, nor the reception. My wife and I, and our families missed most of the reception because we spent what seemed like two hours taking pictures. The lack of organization was staggering. At the end of the event, my wife and I, my sister and her boyfriend, packed up the presents in our cars and headed to our apartment in North Hollywood. We unwrapped and noted everything. I know there were duplicates but that was thirty years ago, don't ask me to remember which. Once everything was sorted and stacked, we decided to look through the guest book. That proved thoroughly depressing for me.

There were dozens of people that I had no knowledge of. Friends of hers, church members past and present. What made it depressing was the number of names I saw from my high school. Guys I had spent most of five years with and I didn't even know they were there because we were practically sequestered.

Ok, why that story? Because not too long ago I found one of my classmates on Facebook. Then I started looking for others. Found two guys I had gone to elementary school and high school with. A week ago or so, one of these guys decided to start a group. Not sure if he meant it to be for just our class, but it's certainly growing that way. The guys are appearing out of the woodwork of Facebook! We've learned of the passing of two of our old friends. We're renewing old friendships. Many of us haven't had any contact in the intervening 33 years. Tuesday was one such day for me.

I spent the better part of the morning chatting with one of my mates from Electronics. Since high school, I've lived in California, Georgia, Texas and Rhode Island. He is now in Colorado and has lost touch with most of our group, too. As new members appear in the group, they bring with them connections to others, ones that we hadn't thought of or forgotten. The group went from five to 39 in about a week.

I pulled what may have been a dirty trick. I scanned the pages from our freshman yearbook. I posted them in the group. Then I scanned our fifth year pages and posted them. One term that showed up in reply was "pathetic" freshman. I think we all had a laugh. It has been amazing to discover where everybody ended up, whether or not that stayed "in industry" and what their families have become. Reliving memories of those frightful days under the watchful gaze of the Salesians and having a good laugh over them.

I am reminded that I am alone. Aside from those I have found on Facebook, there is nobody from my past in my circle of friends. In fact, here in Fresno I cannot say that I have any friends. Yes, I have a portion of my family. But that's it. Ouside this apartment nobody knows me. Nobody in my real world associations has been part of my youth. Is that perhaps why finding my spiritual source had become so important? Maybe.

Here's to old friends and renewed acquaintances.  |_B 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark -
    I like what you had to say! As I have gotten older, reflecting on the memories of my past has become more important to me - I think because if I don't reflect on them now, I might lose them altogether! I can't remember a lot of the details from that far back, but hearing others talk about it, definitely helps bring back those fading memories. Sounds like you have had an interesting life! Looking forward to getting re-acquainted!

    Mike Griffiths

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike, I appreciate that. I know what you mean about hearing the talk and awakening the memories. It's also fascinating to see how far we've spread in this land. I thought I might have been the only one to roam the continent! Mike, Gerry, Tom, Raul, no longer in SoCal. I don't feel so odd! lol

    Interesting is a word that could be used to describe my life, that's for sure. Soap opera fits, too!

    ReplyDelete