Thursday, December 30, 2010

More Noise Tubes

I now have a second and third tube of wood that make noise. Well, kinda. I've chosen to use two different specifications on them. Tube 1, which actually looks like a flute, is sitting in the bedroom with the rest of my flutes, waiting for me to make a fetish for it. I'm a little hesitant to start that project because I'll be using a new power tool. Anything with moving blades gives me pause.

Tube 2 I have decided follow traditional tuning methods. Right now, all six holes make a different sound. It is VERY sensitive to air pressure. In fact, the top three holes are next to impossible to not overblow. I want to shorten up the length of it before I try tuning it. That will bring it closer to a full traditional design.

Tube 3 is following design specifications from yet another flute creator. The north, or mouthpiece, end of mine is somewhat shorter than his specs, so I'm not sure how that affects the tuning. Here's the bizarre part. The bottom three holes seem to have absolutely zero effect on the sound. The top three holes change the pitch. I don't get it. Yet. Hopefully, when I shorten that one, there will be a change in its behavior as well.

The fourth and fifth tubes are sitting on the bench filled with glue and covered in clamps. The glue I use says it only needs about four hours to cure, but I like to let it sit for at least 24 hours before I touch it again. It'll be nearly 48 hours for these, since my hunny has today and tomorrow off. Better to be inside with her than out in the cold garage.  :)

Come Saturday, when she goes back to work, I'll cut down 2 & 3, probably 4 & 5 as well, drill 4 & 5, then try tuning the whole group. The tuning process is time consuming because I am a bit of a perfectionist. I found a nifty app for my gadget that performs as an electronic tuner. Make a noise and it tells you what pitch it is. It, too, is VERY sensitive. How that affects the tuning is that I can see that the frequency of the note I want is less than 5 Hz (cycles per second) off. If I want to tune each hole accurately in relation to the others, I'll spend hours removing very small quantities of wood from the holes. Four flutes, six holes each. That will probably take most of the day.

In the meantime, I have plenty of deerskin with which to make medicine pouches. That process turned out to be relatively painless. I have a fair amount of deer leather thong to make drawstrings for them. I'll bring in my woodburning tools and choose a design or two to put on the leather. I have already tested the technique on the rawhide. I need to do a test on this thinner material.

I also have plenty of beadwork projects to tackle. I need to practice on wrapping "sticks" and putting designs on fabric or leather.

All the craft projects will be pointless if I don't get the web site design completed AND get the business license I'll need. Guess I better find out how much THAT will cost. Then there's shipping to explore. Oh yay fun.

Blessings, Love and Peace to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment